Pinta is a neat drawing and editing tool inspired by Paint.NET, which aims to work as an simpler, easier-to-use alternative to GIMP.
This means you shouldn't expect Pinta to be some kind of open source Photoshop clone. It does include some interesting features like support for layers, unlimited undo and redo, and a bunch of special filters and effects to spice up your images – but its nothing like a serious photo editor. It does, however, include a nice selection of drawing tools that can make Pinta a good choice as photo editor.
According to Pinta's developer, the program is still at an early stage of development – which may be the reason why some of its tools are not available yet. In any case, Pinta does look promising, so we'll keep an eye on this handy little editor as it grows.
Pinta is a simple drawing utility and image editor with a clean interface and an interesting set of tools.
- URGENT: Due to a lack of Mac OS X testers, Pinta 1.1 is not yet available as a stable release. Please head on over to the Contact page if you have a Mac and are willing to contribute.
- New Features ¶
- In this new release several features have been added:
- Holding + Line tools will draw a straight line
- You can now resize a selection
- Added a new images pad for simpler image selection
- Confirmation to enlarge the canvas when a larger image is pasted
- 'Save' and 'Open' dialogs remember their last used paths
- After cropping a smaller area, the image is zoomed to fit the window
- Previous zoom dimensions are kept when rotating
- Added more zooming option between 100-200%
- Pencil Sketch and Ink Sketch now work with the color range slider
- You can now open read-only files
- You can save an empty file if needed
- Fixed Bugs ¶
- #857994 - "Zoom to Window" doesn't always work for small images
- #852770 - Zooming with Ctrl+ScrollWheel doesn't work with Caps Lock or Num Lock enabled
- #852385 - Pinta crashes when Paintbrush's Splatter type is used with size 1
- #851919 - Selection resizing handles do not respect selection constraints. (Shift key)
- #851378 - Zoom to Window logic not preserved when rotating image
- #850362 - Saving empty image does not open save dialog
- #850354 - The name of menu items does not match windows titles
- #846755 - "Save As" doesn't prompt for a filename
- #846396 - Pinta does not run in Kubuntu
- #797140 - Add more zoom options between 100% and 200%
- #792732 - Document switching should be more visible in the UI
- #786872 - failed to open read only file
- #776307 - an exception raised when creating a new image with width 0px and height 0px.
- #772172 - Exception after using Text object and closing image
- #772170 - Text is copied from doc1 to doc2 after using text object and opening new image
- #747607 - Color Range slider doesn't do anything for Pencil Sketch or Ink Sketch effects
- #745270 - Zoom is not automatically increased after cropping a large image